Friday, August 17, 2012

"Stop Talking About It!" If It's Not In Your Mind, It Doesn't Matter

When I was about 14 years old, a friend gave me a watch. Nothing special, just a simple, red plastic digital watch; he may have had a crush on me. My Mom picked me up from school that day and had the opportunity to meet the guy. It was later that evening when I overheard Mom telling Dad about it. "He's black," she said... What?! No, he isn't. I really did not see it. 

It was when I returned to school the next day and met up with my friend. Oh, he is black; I did not care, either. I was actually very disappointed in my parents for making it an issue. I thought I was being raised to know and treat everyone as an equal. When I look at a person, I see their soul. I feel their heart and treat them in the same manner that I expect to be treated, regardless of the way they look or what they believe.


It is sad that even after decades of bigotry, hatred and wars started by some one's belief, many have still not learned to let it go. Children REALLY do not recognize prejudice until it is taught to them. Children are sponges.. they soak up information even when you think they are not paying attention. Teach them well.. We CAN make this world better for the children and generations to come. Lead by example and stop talking about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment