Thursday, August 2, 2012

I Am Alive!


My Mom always called me a "Miracle Baby." I should have been stillborn. I was born 2 weeks past my expected due date; the birth water was black and the placenta was green. Ah, they did not count on my warrior spirit to fight so hard to live. I came out screaming. First born, my parents were just beaming to have a baby girl... oh, were they in for a surprise with me. ;)

It Just Sorta Happened...

My birth was just the beginning of a long line of  'one-in-a-million' freak accidents that I escaped with little to no injury. When I was a baby, asleep in my crib.. a fire started in my bedroom. Mom was up late talking to Dad on the phone (he worked nights) and she happened to hear the noise in my room. She grabbed me, told Dad to call the fire department and ran out of the house. Everything in my room was burned except for my crib and anything under it.

When I was a toddler, I fell out of a two story window. Someone was walking by and caught me. I can only imagine the look on Mom's face when someone knocked on her door holding her kid. Mom tells me she thinks I was reaching for the trees.

Things calmed down a few years with only a whole lot of minor injuries with scrapes, bumps and bruises. I played hard and loved challenges. What did you expect from this warrior spirit?  Mom tells me there were days when Dad came home from work and she would hand me over to him saying, "Take her or she's dead." I couldn't have been that much of a challenge to raise.

It caught up to me again when I was 11 and decided to boogie board on the front porch railing. Oops, this one was my own doing. I fell off the porch and over the cliff. A 2 inch pipe stuck out and ran down the side of the mountain wall; I grabbed the pipe on my way down. I ended up landing on my feet without a scratch on me. Nearly gave my Mom a heartache to see me go over the edge like that.

That same year, I went out at night looking for my Mom and was attacked by a dog. I screamed and curled up into a ball. My entire back was scratched up. Other than that, no other injury or illness.. not even a bite mark. By the way, this happened while we were missionaries in the Philippines.

Sometimes I Feel Like I am a Target...

Since my childhood you name it,  I have injured it. Sometimes it was sports and other times it just happened. What can I say? I still played hard. Head to toe; from concussions, whiplash, broken bones, torn ligaments, and bad sprains. Oh and a couple of deep wounds that required stitches. The weird thing is that I do not get sick. I have had a few colds over the years and the flu only once. But the last time I had any sickness other than an allergy related ear infection was more that ten years ago.

I have also been in 12 car accidents without any injuries that required a trip to the hospital. Never my fault except for one, which I fully take the blame. By now I have figured out 'something' has been trying to take me out.. and my guardian angels (whom I have had working pretty hard) keep saving my butt.


I Am Here to Make a Difference...

Everyday I wake up grateful to be alive. Am I meant for something big? I do not really know the answer to that. What I do know is I have met so many people in all of my travels and I like to believe that I made a positive impact on everyone who has crossed my path. I am here to help people find joy and laughter in their life. To bring a smile to people's faces. It is the least I can do. If my little impact on a person made a difference, they will go out and do the same for someone else. Changing the world with one random act of kindness at a time. =)



2 comments:

  1. You can count me among those you have helped and enlightened. Glad you made it through that gauntlet!

    ReplyDelete