Monday, July 30, 2012

Perceiving Happiness... It's Your Choice.





It amazes me to see so many different 'levels' of society. In my travels and daily life I have had the opportunity to experience high class with weekends spent at a condo on a private golf course in Palm Springs, CA. Tasting the fine dining 7 course meals complete with the cocktail dress and high class etiquette. I experienced the other end, too. I was technically homeless for a while living in my 1973 motor home, parking wherever I could, with no amenities except for what I had available to me on the college campus. And I have also had the opportunities to be a part of society on the levels found in between and sometimes paralleled experiences.

It's the Simple Things...

It is just a matter of opinion and preference to which life style is best. Me personally, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl with bare feet or flip-flops. The high life was fun to do but it was a lot of work to keep up the clean appearance and remembering which fork is for what ;-) It's the simple things I find are the most enjoyable.

When I was 11 years old, living in the Philippines with my Missionary family. We traveled to a small village out in-the-middle-of-nowhere. The sky was wide open except for the scattered huts and a few trees. The bathroom.. haha, just a small hut with a whole in the ground. A small stream was nearby for washing up. The golden grassy land is what I remember most; running as fast as I can for as far as I can. All the children in the village ran with us, my sister and brother were there, too. We all played in those grassy fields during the day and by nightfall it was a party around the bonfire with everyone laughing, singing and dancing. Followed by the best nights sleep I ever had... on a hard wood bed with nothing but a woven mat.

One of my happiest memories comes from a foreign country. We were different than the people who lived there and we were also very much the same. We were all there that day for the same purpose.. to celebrate Life.

The Common Goal...

Being able to be a part of society on so many different levels has taught me how to connect on a personal level with just about anyone. Everyone pretty much wants the same thing.. Love and Joy. We all might have different perceptions to what that is exactly but it's a common goal.

It doesn't matter where you are from, how much money you have, the religion you chose, your sexual preference, the language you speak or the color of your skin. What matters is that we come together to reach that common goal. Happiness is all around you. It is how you perceive your world and how you react is your choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment